General Dynamics F-111 C fighter-bomber
This is the aircraft that became the showpiece of the Museum collection when it arrived in 2013. The F111 featured variable geometry wings, that could be swept back to enable high altitude flight at up to mach 2.5, more than 2600 kmh, carrying advanced weapons delivery systems and terrain-following radar. F111’s were in service with the RAAF an incredible 37 years, from 1973 to 2010, and were flown extensively over the South Evans Head bombing range.
The English Electric Canberra was first flown in 1949. Powered by 2 Rolls-Royce jet engines, it could fly higher than any fighter aircraft, with a maximum speed of 871 km/h. RAAF Canberras were built in Australia and saw service in the Vietnam War.
Made in Canada by De Havilland, the Caribou was chosen by the RAAF to replace the Dakota. It was used for transport of equipment and troops, with the capability of parachute airdrops via the rear hatch. It was particularly valuable for its its ability to access rough and short runways. It saw service in Vietnam and later was used for domestic emergency supply missions. The aircraft on display had 45 years of operation, greatly exceeding its expected lifespan.
A very successful tail-dragger design, originating in the USA, with later models also made locally in Ballina.
The aircraft is built on an aluminium tube, with aluminium wing spars and wire bracing.
Schiecher K7 Sailplane
This is a 2-seat glider made in Germany in the 1950’s. Known as the ‘Rhonadler’ or ‘Eagle of the Rhine’.
MiG-15 Jet Fighter
The Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15 is a single-engine one or two seater trainer jet aircraft produced by Mikoyan between 1949 and 1952. 12,000 were built by the Soviet Union and another 6,000 were built by other nations including China, Poland and Czechoslovakia.
Bell OH-58 Kiowa Helicopter
The Bell OH-58 Kiowa is a single-engine, single-rotor, helicopter used for observation, utility, and direct fire support. It was based on the civilian model 206A JetRanger and used by the Australian army. The aircraft on display was delivered in 1973, ADF Serial No. A17-018. It was acquired by the museum in 8/2017.
Acquired by the museum in 2018, the Anson is an important aircraft in the history of the Evans Head RAAF station. It was used extensively for training of navigators and air observers.